Welcome Message

Welcome to my blog. Here, you will find information about my novels, life in Japan, as well as author interviews, discussions on writing, and more. Feel free to browse and if you enjoy a post, please comment. Thanks for reading!

10 December 2016

Four Regrets

I have a pretty good life. I'm not bragging or trying to compare myself with others. Overall, I can't complain about the course my life has taken and where I have ended up.

I do have some regrets though, just like most people. These four items are...I wouldn't say my biggest regrets...but a few I keep coming back to when I see the success of others.


1. Investing/money matters - I am terrible at financial matters and really wish I had invested in something when I was younger. If a major event would to hit me, I most likely would be ruined financially. I don't have much of a nest egg built up. I feel bad occasionally asking for help from others to help get my feet back on the ground. By no means do I wish I was rich but I would like to be more financially secure.


2. Learning a sport - In school I hated P.E. class and was often the last or second to last to be picked for team sports. I admire people who can play sports and even those who are passionate about a sport. There are a few athletes I admire. But I could never get myself to actively go out and get involved. It seems to me that I was often tired, why make myself more worn out by playing sports or engaging in strenuous activities? Later, I now wish I had chosen a sport as a hobby, just something else to give me something to do and relax. I would never consider entering competitions or such but playing a sport to pass the time and have fun is something I wish I had done. If I could choose a sport, it would be archery. It's solitary but still requires skill. Although, I sometimes wonder at modern archery equipment with all the scopes and stabilizers and such. Whatever happened to old fashioned Robin Hood-style shooting? I think I'd prefer the simple approach.


3. Playing an instrument - My father played the alto sax and my wife plays the piano. I once tried to learn the guitar but gave up on it. I even tried the Irish tin whistle. I never took any professional classes and now it seems a lot of people around me are musically inclined. If I were to pick up an instrument now it would be the violin. I've listened to more violin music lately and enjoy it. I don't have the stamina for wind instruments and tons of people play the guitar. A violin is pleasant, small, and portable.


4. Writing at an earlier age - You probably saw this one coming but I wish I had started writing earlier. Over the course of my life it seems my dream jobs––wanting to be a comic book artist, film director, screenplay writer––all involved telling stories. After learning of the self-publishing boom that was already well underway, I finally realized how much I enjoy writing. I simply wished I had realized this earlier.


There you have it folks; here are 4 items I wish I could tell my younger self to do. As always, thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment