Welcome Message

Welcome to my blog. Here, you will find information about my novels, life in Japan, as well as author interviews, discussions on writing, and more. Feel free to browse and if you enjoy a post, please comment. Thanks for reading!

03 June 2013

Happy Birthday: George Lucas by Elizabeth Delana Rosa


Because I had already posted my thoughts about George Lucas not too long ago, I decided to let a friend, Elizabeth Delana Rosa, write a guest post in honor of Lucas's birthday. Here are her thoughts on him. While this was originally scheduled to go live on Lucas's birthday, unforeseen circumstances prevented that. Enjoy it now.

*************************

George Lucas’s birthday was on May 14, 2013 and it brought up my torn feelings about him. I am an adamant Star Wars Fan and I admire his climb from obscure no one to billionaire of a huge franchise. 
However, lately he sold Star Wars to Disney.  While I’m sure that it padded his piggy bank, but when franchises change hands things happens to the stories. They end up being without something important. 
I hope that when we see more Star Wars films they are acted well and written well. There was something missing in his latest films. I hope that it is found with Disney and no further lost.  For example, Jake Lloyd who played Anakin Skywalker was not, in my humble opinion, a good choice. He was not a good child actor, nor did he fit the idea that I had of what Darth Vader looked like as a child.  I was also unimpressed with the “virgance in the force” and the funny “chemistry” between Padme Amadala (Natalie Portman) and Anakin Skywalker.  Pedophilia anyone?!
Then came Episode Two the sole focus was on the love affair 10 years later between Padme and Anakin. The story was okay, but to be honest all I remember is the cheesy romance scenes of them smiling stupidly at each other. The budding Darth Vader (Hayden Christensen) seemed more like a spoiled brat, blaming his problems on being taken away from his mother.  Episode Three has some great action scenes and some good point to the story as to how Darth Vader became the Dark Guy, as well as the identity of the Emperor and how Luke and Leia were separated. I still felt the acting fell flat and Anakin wasn’t evil enough, even after killing the “younglings.”  
I am a huge fan of the originals and even with the additional scenes I enjoyed them. I liked the 1970s era effects and the acting was commendable. I wonder what George Lucas lost between his youth and his age. I hope that he finds it by selling his franchise. 

*************************
I'd like to thank Elizabeth Delana Rosa for an interesting article. Comment below and thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment